The disturbing case of Andrew Messina

By Curt Williams

Contributing writer for End the Lie and host of Room 101

Andrew Messina (Image credit: Messina family)

Recently, with the help of two wonderful ladies, I covered an absolutely horrible story. Imagine for a moment that your 16-year-old son was unnecessarily shot in your own home by a sniper working with the local sheriffs.

You may be saying to yourself, there had to be a good reason that this child was killed. Well read on and you can judge for yourself.

Editor’s note: For similar cases of calls for help going horribly wrong I highly suggest you read about the disturbing case of 62-year-old Nick Christie and the case of an Army reservist who allegedly had his home vandalized after he called a suicide hotline, after which he filed a lawsuit against the District of Columbia.

Andrew Messina was 16 years old and was nothing shy of what you might call a typical teenager. He loved his music, his friends and helping people.

Well, the helping people part may not be all that common of a trait among the younger generation, but it was a trait that Andrew had. He was described by friends to be a modern day hippy of sorts, meaning that the ideas of peace and love towards others resonated deeply in him. Peace and harmony was his mindset.

I was told by the mother of one of his friends that when eating dinner at her house he took it upon himself to clear the table and help with cleaning up after being told he did not have to.

He was a very smart young man for his age. Being from a wealthy area, he was still not what some might call a spoiled brat. He worked for his money and expected no handouts.

He did this even though, as I have been told, he didn’t have to work because his parents would have bought him what he needed.

This was another one of Andrew’s traits that is not so typical of your average teen. He worked for what he wanted. He knew the value of hard work and actually working for what you want instead of having it handed to you. He understood finances. He mowed lawns and did whatever he could to be independent financially.

As we all know being a teen is a rough time, regardless of whether you are from the wealthy side of town or not. At that age, you don’t know if your coming or going. Not really a child, but not quite an adult.

Depression became an issue for Andrew as it does with many teens. Andrew was also diagnosed with ADHD.

It was mentioned in an article about this case that Andrew was a little upset about his grades and the bullying he was experiencing. He was prescribed Zoloft. Uh Oh! This was not a good contributing factor to the mix of things.

On May 1st things came to a head with Andrew’s depression. He had what some may call a “breakdown.”

Distraught, he went for his Fathers unloaded .357 pistol and as one could imagine this scared his Mother.

This prompted her to call for help. What happened next was not in any way the “help” Andrew’s mother sought for her son.

The SWAT arrived and set up shop. Armed with an unloaded .357 Andrew barricaded himself in his family’s house.

It was falsely reported that Andrew was holding his own mother hostage. This was not the case. When asked if she felt that she was in any danger, his mother was quoted as saying, “Absolutely not.”

Andrew’s father stated, “I told my wife to get out of the house and call the police.”

“The phone call to the police was made from outside the house. At no time did my son have her hostage,” he added.

We can already see a number of problems here. One, there was no hostage situation whatsoever. Two, Andrew was on Zoloft. Three, the overreaction and erroneous belief that there was a hostage situation brought about unnecessary force from the Cherokee County Sheriff department.

What was overlooked was the fact that this young man was very upset and needed some professional help in getting over his depressive state of mind.

This was the help that Andrew’s mother was looking for and obviously not the help the sheriffs provided.

Andrew’s mother wanted to get her son the help he so desperately needed. This was a case of a bout with depression due to problems that teens often go through. His father stated that his son was neither bi-polar nor manic depressive.

At that point in time Andrew’s intentions were not to harm anyone else as his father recalls from what Andrew was saying over the phone, “I’m just such a disappointment and such a problem to you and the rest of the world.” I have uttered these very same words as teen.

It was said that Andrew was drinking. From what I have gathered this was exaggerated as well. A drink may have been taken, but he was not drunk like I’m sure was relayed to the SWAT.

At one point Andrew let his 10 pound Shih Tzu outside. This was seen as a threat to the officers. Yes, a 10 pound Shih Tzu was a threat to these supposedly well trained officers!

I was told that this was done by Andrew to keep the family pet out of harm’s way and from the people that I have spoke with that knew Andrew, this was just the way he was. He loved and respected life.

Yes, he was flirting with the idea of harming himself, but he was a troubled teen. This provides no excuse for what happened next.

After Andrew decided that he would not speak with negotiators, I can only imagine that the SWAT was ready to put an end to this.

Now, keep in mind that this entire ordeal happened in the span of an hour. My opinion is that SWAT came there with zero intention of getting Andrew out of the house alive.

Quick note: the officers did know that the gun was not loaded.

His father asked if he could see his son, to talk to him. He was told no. Why? Why not go a route that could have saved Andrew from what was about to occur?

Andrew positioned himself by the front door of his home and upon waving the gun around hit the glass in the front door breaking part of it.

Again in the name of “safety” of the officers, this act was seen as a threat due to officers being near the door.

When the glass broke, the sniper saw his opportunity.

One shot was fired, killing Andrew instantly. It was a kill shot to the chest that went straight through Andrew, ricocheting around the room.

The sheriff claims that this action was SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) and that they had to protect the neighbors.

What about Andrew? Was there anyone concerned with this young man’s well being? I think not.

How many times have we heard of standoffs that last hours only to be resolved with no one dead? I know personally I have heard of quite a few.

The suspect is usually apprehended and dealt with from there. Why was this not the case here? Why were non-lethal means of putting an end to this situation not explored? This could not have been the officers’ only recourse.

Just some ideas that pop to mind are: rubber bullets, beanbag rounds, tear gas, flash/stun/concussion grenades, or better yet, just let his own father speak to him.

What a concept! It’s obvious that when the officers got there, there was no need for parental intervention. Insane!

So to recap: mother calls for help because her son is distraught and she fears for his safety and his wellbeing. The son has an unloaded .357 and is sniped through the front door. Where was the help?

I can really relate to what Andrew must have been feeling because at one time I was that teen. I have been suicidal and my mother has had to call for help.

I may have not had a gun, but I was out of my mind and, well, I could have been Andrew. Andrew is all of us. Andrew is your teen and mine.

My heart truly aches for Andrew’s parents because I am a father with teenagers.

Parents, this is a call to action. I will never call the “peace officers” for help even if my child is threatening suicide. I will never call them for anything period! So many factors come into play here.

I will leave this to you, the reader, to determine if this was the way it should have ended. I believe that you will come to the same conclusion I have. Please show your support for Andrew’s parents by visiting the Justice for Andrew Messina Facebook page and sharing it with others who care.

Edited by End the Lie

Shop through our Amazon link and support Room 101 Radio. For all your de-programming needs, be sure to stop by the Re-Education Center located in the back of the Room 101 Store. Thank you for your support.

Room 101 Radio airs live Sunday mornings at 9 a.m. EST on the Oracle Broadcasting Network (past shows are archived here). In Room 101 your host Curt Williams discusses some of the most pressing social issues, namely, police terrorism, public education and Big Pharma. These are just a few topics of the many topics covered as there are so many issues facing us and our children right in our own backyard. While people wait for those in DC to make everything alright, our communities are crumbling. Social fragmentation has ripped us apart. We are afraid of our neighbors, afraid of the police, hell, we’re even afraid of our own shadows. We lock ourselves away afraid of the world. So join Curt as he tackles these issues and much more. Be sure to check out his website devoted to Room 101. He can be contacted via email here.

Top Search Terms Used to Find This Page:

57 Responses to The disturbing case of Andrew Messina

1. Anonymous May 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I’m fucking speechless. I hope every one of those pigs is locked the fuck up.

• Ana May 31, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I couldn’t agree with you more!

2. americaisalie May 30, 2012 at 6:05 AM

his mother called the police. she bought the lie. her son bought the farm. welcome to america. no sympathy here!

3. Anonymous May 30, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I agree with what you said, but you did kind of over exaggerate what happened as well. I saw Andy at his viewing, and he was not shot through the chest, and the bullet did not ricochet around the room. He was shot in the abdomen, and it did not go through him, he just bled out. It is fucking sick what the officer (the man who ordered the sniper to do what he did) did to Andy to “protect the neighbors”. The neighbors even said themselves that they were far more worried about Andy’s safety than their own, and they even said that he was a great kid who would never hurt anybody. It’s not the sniper’s fault, he did what he was ordered to do, and I assure you that the sniper would have never thought that he would have to shoot a 16 year-old boy that day.

• Curt May 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Thank you for correcting me. I was told that the bullet did ricochet. Again thanks for the correction. :)

• Anonymous May 31, 2012 at 12:57 AM

talk about inconsequential details. what does it matter if it went through him or he bled out? what does it matter if it was chest or abdomen (both are kill shots buddy) and what does it matter who ordered it?

Seems to me you are trying to muddy the waters. Why should we trust you, some anonymous commenter, anyways? you give us no reason to trust you.

• Keely Seals May 31, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Ah, an anonymous commenter attacking an anonymous commenter? I doubt there is any muddying of the waters here- I was at the viewing as well and I can assure you that what the original commenter was saying was correct.

• corpsman June 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Really, the sniper was only doing his job. What is he a robot? When should he use his own brain. The Nazis did what they were told too, but that did not make it right to kill millions of people. It is called personal responsibility, where was the snipers.

4. sistertongue May 31, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Agreed, anonymous. a myopic discussion of the details is exactly how MSM gets us to ignore the bigger picture, which the author is all too willing to oblige. All drama/trauma, no real brains.

Having worked previously for many years, in psych er’s, particularly those that offer(ed) outreach services, I realized that many times my role as a mental health worker was to prevent the police from abusing the patient. Best to call a hospital, NOT the cops, folks, for these kinds of situations.

Oh, yes, and btw, mr. williams, I notice you are amongst the growing number of males who cannot address adult females as who and what we are: women, not lovely, incompetent “ladies”.

• Anonymous May 31, 2012 at 10:08 PM

WOW! Talk about muddying the waters. What the hell? Where do you get “lovely, incompetent ladies” from? Way to just throw in your own words to make your point. People like you are ridiculous. Stop trying to deflect attention from the issues that matter and instead try to create problems over a single WORD.

People like you are insane!

5. Kojac May 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Unless we start treating the cops like they treat us nothing will change! People see a badge and they instantly kiss butt! Screw them and they`re familys, they are satanist! Cops killing kids in the name of procedures! WTF is happening in the cops world of insanity! EYE FOR AN EYE I SAY!

6. Kojac May 31, 2012 at 10:20 AM

By the way, most snipers use 300 magnums! Look it up!

• Anonymous May 31, 2012 at 10:10 PM

and?

7. JC May 31, 2012 at 5:43 PM

This is why if you are going to keep a gun in the house with minors, LOCK IT UP so your kids can’t get to it. The parents definitely bear responsibility here.

8. Anonymous May 31, 2012 at 5:53 PM

You disgust me JC. Your logic is idiotic.

• JC May 31, 2012 at 6:02 PM

You would really trust a teenager (who often lack maturity and impulse control) to have access to your guns in your home? Ok, then.

• JC May 31, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Not to mention the fact this kid was undergoing mental health treatment for depression…why allow someone in your home like that access to a firearm? Sure, its easier to blame the police officer over the grieving parents but the question of why a depressed teenager had access to his parents’ gun needs to be asked.

• Anonymous May 31, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Maybe he knew the combination and they didn’t know that he did? Maybe he knew where the key was and they didn’t know that he did?

I love how you’re psychic and can know what happened. Keep sticking up for murderers JC you scumbag.

9. JC May 31, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Leaving a gun (loaded or not) accessible to a teenager is needlessly inviting tragedy. I don’t think the parents exercised responsible gun ownership here.

10. Anonymous May 31, 2012 at 6:08 PM

JC that’s not the issue here. You’re placing guilt on the parents for a sniper shooting a child for having an unloaded gun. How can you actually defend that? Are you seriously that stupid? Guns don’t kill people. People kill people. The person who killed Andrew is a police sniper. Not his parents.

• JC May 31, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Uh…where do you think the kid got the gun from? Look, this is obviously a tragic situation, the kid should have put the gun down when the police got there instead of breaking the window and surrendered himself. What if the parents were mistaken about the fact that it was unloaded? The officer had a split second to make a decision and unfortunately he made the wrong one. This all would have been avoided if the parents did not store their gun in a manner their moody, depressed teenager could access it. The parents do bear some responsibility for what went on in their home, no? There is plenty of blame to go around here, but to put it all on the cops is just asinine.

• Anonymous May 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Again you are trying to move blame from the murderer to an innocent party. Don’t worry, the REAL JC can see your dark heart for what it really is and you will be held accountable.

• thisguy October 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM

You know… this story is a couple months old now but I have to agree with JC on some points.

Put it this way, if my son (I’m a man) was carrying around my gun, and I knew for a fact that it was unloaded, I wouldn’t leave the house. I would smack his ass and take the gun away.

The parents are to blame for multiple wrong actions. Like JC said, how can the police or sniper know that the gun is for sure unloaded? How is waving the gun in the air and breaking glass not an act of aggression? How is being on mind altering (although prescription) drugs not a factor in a seemly normal person being capable of horrible acts of violence?

When I first read this story, the fact that the teen was waving a gun around was completely omitted. I searched deeper to fuel my “anti-police excessive violence rage” and found was is just a tragedy caused by poor parents. They even admit, they should not have called the police.

• thisguy October 29, 2012 at 4:51 PM

It was also omitted that he was on Zoloft.

• Curt October 29, 2012 at 5:12 PM

so are you saying that a “shoot to kill” option was the ONLY option…Yes its true that Lisa now sees that calling the cops was a bad idea…should we fault her for not realizing what we realize? no..she was under the impression as so many people are that the cops are there to help…the father was not in the house when this happened…is it justified to send an armored vehicle to help a teen? wouldnt you think that would escalate the situation? why an “army” of cops…the fathers words not mine…why did the negotiator NOT let Andrew talk to his Father on the phone…they cut communication off to his father and mother..they were just a few feet away..the sniper didnt know what the situation was..he was poorly briefed…he didnt know if there were hostages or what..and how does the sound of broken glass sound like a .357? you need to read the updated article I wrote which will be over at copblock.org soon…the autopsy has shown that where the bullet entered and exited is inconsistent with the officers story of aiming the gun at officers..in fact NO officer on the scene every stated that the gun andrew had ever faced them or stuck out of the hole in the window..bottom line..they were there to keep the boy safe from killing himself..and well they did it for him…you might want to read up on this before you state that this was caused by the parents…

• thisguy October 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Yes, shoot to kill, was the only option. Split second decisions make the difference between one person dying and multiple people dying. Like many others you are posing “what if” possibilities, What if he got to talk to his father, What if he was just breaking glass out of frustration and not aggression, what if he didn’t want to hurt anyone. These are all valid possibilities, but you deny the facts. All the police can go by are the facts, and the facts are, his father is not a professional negotiator, he might be the kids father, but he does not have the experience or training to calm down a suicidal, drunk and drugged, gun-weilding teen. The kid denied any attempt at negotiations and displayed acts of aggression in a heated situation. Anti-depressants have been proven over and over again to cause seemly normal people to commit horrendous acts, so the officers worked off the facts. Once again have to throw my own reaction in here, if this was my son, I would never have called the police, and yes, the parents are to blame for that. If they were so sure that he would not hurt them, that the gun was unloaded, that this was just a fit of frustration, why leave the house, leaving the house shows that they were afraid for their safety. Why call the police, calling the police shows that they had no means of controlling him themselves. What Andrew did is called Suicide by Cop. There are videos that Andrew recorded himself, of him saying he wanted to die, he wanted to be killed, moments before he was. I have seen cases just like this, except the victim is a black adult male, and majority agree, it is for the best that they get put down. The outrage here is that it is a White Teen.

• Curt October 30, 2012 at 12:57 PM

so then, if your child (thats saying your a parent) was in this situation what would YOU? take them to a shrink for meds? i doubt you would..you expressed there dangers and I 100% agree…would you call the cops? you have stated how this was a bad idea on the part of andrews parents..so, how would quell the very same situation if this was your son…I would have not called the cops either..but that isnt the case here..the issue is excessive force…NONE of the officers stated they saw a gun come through the window or pointed at anyone…and Im sorry but a pane of glass breaking does not sound like a .357…please…hasty decision…

• thisguy October 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Hasty decision perhaps. I agree that resolving the situation by shooting him in under an hour is very questionable. But I was not there, and I believe you were not there, unless you were, correct me. In situations like that, the faster and further they escalate, the quicker a resolution has to be executed. There is no way for me to know how the situation escalated except from the video that Andrew shot and from your own comment that states he loaded the gun after police arrived. The point is that people are outraged that police would kill this white teenager so quickly, so they put the blame on the police. But like I said, this sort of thing has been happening for a very long time, only in places where the news don’t care to report on it, because it doesn’t get white Americans furious about a “policed state”. There is nothing policed here, we are freely discussing our opinions on this act, and further more, we are free to do so anonymously.

If it was my son (do not have children yet) I would have restrained him. Tied him up, locked him in a room where I would watch him and talk to him. It also says something about the parents that their son’s reaction to a bad grade was to find the families gun and start drinking alcohol. If my children got bad grades, I would never expect them to want to end their own life or endanger the lives of others.

So excessive force vs poor parenting. I’m not sure which one takes the cake, but both play a part. In my own opinion though, poor parenting has a higher debt here.

• Curt October 30, 2012 at 4:46 PM

i cover ALL cases of police terrorism..white black..it doesnt matter..not sure why you went that route..so you would interact with your child in that situation..so its not wrong to say that maybe his father could have done the same…I doubt that it was only grades that was at the root of the problem…ssri’s, as i mentioned in another comment, are very dangerous, i know cuz i was on them years ago..no doubt that played a part…no I wasnt there, I have though been in close contact with his mother, who was obviously…

• thisguy October 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM

The reason I brought up the color issue is because this is, like I mentioned previously, a case of Suicide by Cop. It is not Police Brutality, like some of the other stories you feature on your site. I think that when people read these kind of things, they lump it into one group, when it should be looked at on a case by case basis. To lump this into police brutality, in my opinion, is inappropriate, and the only reason it is happening, in my opinion, is because of his ethnicity.

You are right, it is not wrong to say his father could have interacted with him, but he and his wife gave up that right when they called the police. The police are not arbiters, they are the enforcers and protectors. If you do not need enforcement or protection, do not call them. Police departments take anyone wielding a gun with extreme intolerance. It does not surprise me that they would call in a sniper, age does not stop one from being a danger to those around them.

All in all this is a sad story, it ended unnecessarily, but my point is: This story does not scare me from my local police officers. It does not scare me to call them when I need to. This story makes me think critically about the measures the parents took, and what I and others, can do ourselves to avoid something like this happening.

• Curt October 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM

enforcement yes..protection no…or at least the supreme court says so…to say that Lisa and Nick (who was not at home when the 911 call was made) had gave up their rights when they called the cops is saying that they gave up their right to be involved in the situation or re-enter their home…what rights did they apparently give up…I was not aware of losing ANY rights due to calling the cops..never heard of that one..Im not seeing the suicide by a cop thing…for one andrews own reaction to the riot cops when he saw them…stating that there was no riot just someone pissed off…asking why are they there…if his intention was to be suicided, then i would think it wouldnt matter if there were riot cops there…ya see what im saying…the whole reason I cover these stories on my radio show is to bring awareness to them so that this wont happen again..unfortunately it has to hit home before most will understand what you and I seem to understand…its been nice going back and forth with ya…Thanks :)

11. Anonymous May 31, 2012 at 6:16 PM

JC you are an apologist for a murderer. You should be ashamed of yourself.

12. Steven Gaylord June 1, 2012 at 7:31 AM

One rule of Fascism is that; in a police state, one cannot expect government to hire and train people of good conscious, compassion and empathy.

13. nate June 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

what burns me up is that there are still people that call the police for help. that mother killed her son when she picked up the phone.

14. Just me June 1, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Without a doubt the absolute worst thing anyone can do in Fascist Amerika is call the Gestapo. As horrible as things were in the attic of Anne Frank they didn’t call the Gestapo.

Not to take anything away from the Messina family but perhaps this story should be renamed “Top Reasons Not To Call The Gestapo”.

15. Scott Lindsay June 2, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Look this is typical of a moronic police force that are known to shoot the family pet because it kept barking and was said to be a threat to there being there,what a load of crap.And by the way that dog was tied up.This country is gone insane an that young man was takened out by procedures written in stone and these cops follow orders because they can\’t think for themselfs. If you think they treat the American citizens think of how they treated Iraqi families by kicking in the door walking in with guns pointed and children while they sit and watch there older brothers and father get rifle butted in the face and shot but just to wound and then tied up and taken away never to be seen again.This is American aggression on a scale of human rights violations but how do you think the trama of what took place will have on those young children who saw there family be destroyed.

16. Anonymous June 7, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Very well said Scott Lindsay!!!

17. Ellen June 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM

As usual, the thugs in costumes and badges take every opportunity to jam their jackboots on our necks. They are not held accountable and are usually rewarded for such abhorrent conduct. The delight in torturing, abusing, stealing from, and imprisoning as many as possible. These slime need to be disarmed and arrested for every violation against those who employ them.

For those who are intent on misdirecting the attention on the gun being in the home–not locked up–you’re betraying your ignorance and anti-American views. Guns belong in every home and children should be continually trained and educated on their proper use, as it used to be in this country before the tyrants took over. And, if you took the time to read your state as well as national Constitutions, you’d realize that we ALL have the right to keep and bear arms, contrary to the “color of law”/fake laws that say otherwise. Any “law” that goes against the Constitution IS NOT LAW and is null and void. That covers just about everything that’s being done at every level of our viperous government.

The importance of the Second Amendment is continually downplayed by those intent on the total disarming of this country. A review of history shows very plainly that once disarmed, a populace are then totally subjugated and usually massacred. Our shadow government is intent upon our disarmament.

18. Anonymous June 12, 2012 at 9:54 PM

As this case is sad and is true, the author is lying about A LOT. The gun was loaded, there is a tape recording of the mother on the line with 911 operators stating so. The bullet went through his abdomin, not his chest. The reason non lethal tactics were not used is because everything happened in under an hour and they didnt want to spark anything without first realizing that he WOULD NOT come out of the house. He put a gun through a window, an obvious threat. It is no ones fault besides his, with the help of a couple pills and alcohol.

• Curt October 30, 2012 at 1:12 PM

the gun was not loaded at first..he loaded it after the 911 call was made…that comes straight from his mother…NONE of the officers state in THEIR report that a gun poked thru the window and was directed at police..i stand corrected on where he was shot..in the right side out the left..and according to the autopsy, it was not possible for him to be pointing the gun in the way they said..and again NO cop state they saw a gun come thru the window!! anonymous…you a cop? yes it happened in under an hr…when someones life is at stake i think it deserves as much time as needed…there was an armored vehicle, what was described as an “army” of cops and a sniper for a suicidal teen?? wow talk about a police state..I will pose this question to you anon, what would you have done in that very same situation..you being the parent?? its easy to sit here and comment about how it was the parents fault for having the gun, for putting him on meds, for calling the cops..what would YOU do?

19. infiltratedcountry June 21, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Wow fellow citizen. There are many emotions in the comments above. I would like to inject if I may. The controlling power that was sent here to administrate the lands and wealth of the United States keeps it’s power through division. The deceptive part of it is how they place their seeds and how they activate that growth while denying the self to expand with it’s own course. No matter the method the desired out come is what is important. Please see my friends that the end result is to make our spirit want to attack our fellow citizens rather than the oppressive power that leads our thoughts and dreams. We feel hopeless to the point of attacking our neighbor for not responding. We are empowered to do so because we believe our ancestors won this land. There fore setting a system where the neighbors opinion sets the criteria for government. It is all a lie. You are in a slave camp for your mind as well as body.

20. Pingback: The Progressive Mind » The disturbing case of Andrew Messina

21. Pingback: The Progressive Mind » Senate rejects amendment giving states the right to require GMO labeling

22. me July 9, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Calling the police on a family member was not the right thing to do. I wouldn’t call the police if my child was holding a loaded gun to my head. I would rather be killed by a family member then turn one in. They had some serious issues and turned to the state for help and should have known better than to believe the state wanted to help them in any way. Anyone should know that if you call the police on someone with a gun, loaded or not, or even if its a toy, they have a chance of being killed by the police. How many stories do people need to get that through their heads. There is no way I would want any state enforcer around my child.

23. Noah August 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I went to school with him. He was a good kid, we only talked once. His death will be a loss to us all.

24. Dvoroznak September 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Well IMHO this article’s focus should be less about the cops actions, which are not surprising in the police state we currently live in, and more about the devastating effects of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors or SSRIs for short, which cause thousands of suicides & murders every year. (Just browse ssristories dot com.)

Our kids are being turned into chemically lobotomized killing machines. And any parents who put their kids on these drugs are just as guilty as the cops that are putting them down.

You might want to read up on SSRIs if this is news to you. It will be an eye opener.

• Curt October 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I do know quite a bit about ssri’s..i was on them for one…and it is also another big topic i cover..the over medicating of children..yes indeed the ssri’s may have contributed to his ill feelings…alot of evidence showing that they do have that effect..i know personally…BUT that does not mean that the parents are at fault or that andrew himself was at fault..very hasty decisions made in this case..I will be speaking with Lisa Messina, his mother, on the 11th of Nov…please stop by and hear for yourself… http://room101radio.net/listen-live/

25. 匿名 October 29, 2012 at 6:32 AM

竟然怎么可以随便射杀一个情绪激动的孩子呢?!没错他只是孩子!16岁的孩子而已!不是想着怎么保护他,怎么让他平静下来!就算要开枪,打到他的手不就好了?打死他干什么?这好歹也是一条生命啊!真是TMD搞笑哦。我以为911都是有素养的人。狙击手应该是很冷静的人,这样的狙击手训练出来有何用?竟然在自己国家杀小孩!真是对自己国家的耻辱!

26. JB October 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM

He is deeply depressed and taking Zoloft. Also ADHD. Still doesn’t justify him waving a gun around and shit. Do he expect the cops to let him go just because he’s depress and stuff? No.

I place the blame on the stupid teenager who waver his gun around asking to be shot.

• Anonymous October 29, 2012 at 7:57 PM

you’re a disgusting human being. seriously.

• JB October 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM

you guys are seriously underestimating the decline in intelligence for the younger people of America and the rest of the world. Seriously, this kid probably in the group that follows “YOLO”.

• Curt October 30, 2012 at 6:09 AM

I believe that I seriously underestimate YOUR intelligence…honestly its the decline in the compassion for humanity, like you have shown, that is terribly sad…do you know Andrew personally? are you a cop in Cherokee county? if you are that explains the lack of compassion you have for the loss of life here…

• Curt October 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM

well 1st..he was not waving the gun around…he stayed away from the door and window most of the time…please read this http://www.copblock.org/23079/andrew-messina-did-he-have-to-die/ ..NONE of the cops stated in any of the police reports that the gun was ever pointed at the officers..in fact at the time he was shot his back was to the negotiation team…well at least thats what the autopsy shows..entrance and exit wounds tell alot…and it did tell alot..it told us that he was not positioned to do what the sniper said he did…real easy to blame the parents and the victim…completely ignore the fact that they brought an armored truck an “army” of cops and a sniper…for a suicidal teen?? please….if you want to hear the truth about what happened and hear what kind of person Andrew was instead of calling him a “stupid teenager”..have you ever had the police called for you while you were depressed and contemplating suicide? I have..and yes the cops did let me go get the help i needed…and yes there were guns in the house…in fact 1 time i was waving around a knife..i obviously wasnt shot…all these comments stating it was the parents fault or it was the “stupid teenagers” fault (quite classy) but no one can explain why, with him being depressed, was he not aloud to continue talking to his father..why wasnt his father aloud in the house..his mother stated on the 911 call that she was not afraid for her life…

27. Curt October 29, 2012 at 8:08 PM

28. DanaBrightly October 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM

As I suspected the trolls came out to attack on the comments section of this story. As they do anytime a story shows a government employee in a bad light. They blame everyone but the government employee and attempt to start arguments and just disrupt the comments section. It’s like it’s straight out of some training manual. I would ask who they are working for, but I am sure it’s rather obvious.

29. Don M January 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Abuse of police power, plain and simple.

30. Don M January 17, 2013 at 9:50 PM

People on anti depressants seem to have a propensity to get themselves in trouble with guns. We have got to address this fact.

However if it was established that the gun was unloaded then the shoot in this case is murder/manslaughter.