By End the Lie

A family in Beach Park, Illinois underwent a strange series of events after a mysterious package, allegedly containing marijuana, was delivered to their home.

A mere 10 minutes after the package, which was not actually addressed to anyone in the family, was delivered, police broke down the front door and confronted the family with guns drawn.

Unfortunately, police raiding the wrong home is far from rare although I guess we can be grateful that no one was killed in the botched drug raid which actually never turned up anything illicit.

The Lake County News-Sun reported that Paul Brown, a 58-year-old architect, was in the basement of his home when a “huge noise” drew him upstairs where he was swiftly met with a gun in his face.

According to Brown, he was handcuffed and placed on a chair with a gun still pointed at his face. “They wouldn’t tell us why they were there,” he said, referring to the police.

Only after the fact was Brown able to piece together what actually happened.

“A package was delivered, it was about 18 inches by 18 inches 22 to 24 inches tall, by a postal inspector and was accepted outside the open garage by Brown’s son-in-law, Wilmer Aries, 28, who is married to his daughter Ericka, 23, who also live in the home,” the News-Sun reported.

Brown said that Aries then brought the package inside the house, placing it in the foyer. Brown never actually saw the package but Aries said it was addressed to a completely different house.

To make matters even worse, the search warrant address listed Brown’s house as in Waukegan when in reality it is in Beach Park. Brown also said he thought the package was addressed to someone name Oscar with a different last name.

Only 10 minutes after the package was accepted, police officers from the Metropolitan Enforcement Group (MEG) “smashed in the front door and began ransacking the house, even pulling out insulation in the basement,” according to the News-Sun.

“They crashed things, they smashed things,” Brown recalled. “You couldn’t walk into a room because everything from the drawers was thrown around and emptied onto the floor.”

According to Brown, it was completely unnecessary for the police to break down his door in the first place.

“The garage door was open. They could have just walked in,” he said.

Brown said that the search turned up no drugs whatsoever and the police took the box – allegedly containing marijuana – with them.

It is not all that surprising to learn that the calls placed by the News-Sun to the Metropolitan Enforcement Group were never returned. It is also not shocking, but still troubling to learn that the Metropolitan Enforcement Group hasn’t returned Brown’s calls either.

Brown was clearly disturbed by the incident beyond just wondering who is going to pay for his door valued at $3,000 12 years ago along with the $130 lock set.

“It’s pretty shadowy and pretty bizarre for us,” Brown said, referring to the incident which lasted a whopping two hours starting around 4 p.m. “I was terrified. My chest was hurting and I am a diabetic and prone to heart attacks.”

To add insult to injury, Brown said that the officers were high-fiving and fist-bumping each other as they were tracking the shattered glass from his front door around the house.

Brown also said that his 77-year-old mother-in-law was in the kitchen when the raid happened and the police opted to give her the search warrant to read instead of actually giving it to Brown.

“I was basically held hostage,” said Brown, while adding that his family is “not hard to investigate.”

“They were upset they didn’t find anything. When I asked them who was going to pay for the door they basically said, ‘Not us’,” said Brown.

I hate to say it but I really wouldn’t be all that surprised if Brown never was reimbursed and never even received an apology from the police. After all, they didn’t kill any pets or family members so he should be grateful, right?

Did I forget anything or miss any errors? Would you like to make me aware of a story or subject to cover? Or perhaps you want to bring your writing to a wider audience? Feel free to contact me at [email protected] with your concerns, tips, questions, original writings, insults or just about anything that may strike your fancy.

Please support our work and help us start to pay contributors by doing your shopping through our Amazon link or check out some must-have products at our store.

Top Search Terms Used to Find This Page:

35 Responses to Mysterious package delivered to family, 10 minutes later police break down door and ransack home

1. omg September 20, 2012 at 4:48 AM

I’ll bet the native americans felt pretty bad on the trail of tears. Injustice hurts, but is always repaid.

• omg-is-a-moron September 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM

You are a moron.

2. Anonymous September 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM

3. James September 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Can you say FEDERAL LAW SUIT.
    I can say it BIG TIME.
    Do cops even read these warrants? or do they just drive down the road and say ” hey lets bust down in that house over there it looks nice has to be DRUG money.”

4. Calladus September 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Brown and his family learned a valuable lesson today. Police are not here to “protect and serve”, they are here to rack up arrests – even at the expense of citizens.

Brown and his family learned to never trust the police. In doing so, they could possibly be “protected” to death.

5. Chris September 20, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I had some stuff stolen from my front yard the other day. I didn’t bother calling the police. Who knows what could have happened if they showed up, It’s not worth the risk.

6. Pingback: Mysterious package delivered to family, 10 minutes later police break down door and ransack home « dujaa74

7. Mike September 21, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Yea, let’s just have a land of lawlessness because the millions who serve in uniform are all corrupt. I see people like you all the time. Most of you have never succeeded and never will because this is what you spend your time doing…looking for the less than a tenth of one percent of bad cops or anything else you can find to make yourself look like less of a loser. This goes especially to the writer of this story. I have always said, if you don’t like the United States of America….LEAVE! Oh….and I truly believe losers who don’t like cops MUST be criminals themselves…

• Kahn September 21, 2012 at 7:40 AM

While not all police are bad, clearly 70% went in to the force because they enjoy intimidating people and among those are a higher proportion of criminals than the general population. You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than a terrorist, and 4 times more likely to be raped by a cop than a regular civilian. Even if the 0.1% figure you pulled out of your ass was accurate there are too many police officers enforcing too many tyrannical laws.
      Mike – why don’t you go live in some authoritarian circle jerk someplace and leave us freedom loving Americans alone.

• Mike September 21, 2012 at 8:36 AM

What a total spin with numbers. Of course you are more likely to get killed by a police officer than a terrorist and there are so many reasons why that I won’t even bother. The main reason is though, police officers along with other organizations protect against terrorism and it’s working. I don’t have an answer to your rape statement. Maybe it takes one to know one…huh? Anyway keep digging up ways to bash police officers and I will keep stereotyping extremist losers like you and yours.

Oh, and I am just as free as you and your conspiring bandwagon hippies are. I just know how to acknowledge the ones that help protect that freedom, and not dig deep trying to find that less than 0.1% of bad apples you are looking for. My 26 years in the military gives me a much brighter outlook than you behind that keyboard.

• nate September 26, 2012 at 4:27 PM

the last time i bothered to ask why i was being searched i got my head slammed onto the hood of the car. where is this “freedom” you speak of?

• John October 12, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Police state Mike, please get out of my country.

I want the Bill of Rights back.

• Dick Head December 1, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Brainwashed idiot.

• Mick September 24, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Mike, you truly believe, what you are writing???

• Mike December 25, 2012 at 2:57 PM

You have to be one of the most uninformed person on the planet. uninformed = stupid

8. John September 21, 2012 at 6:32 AM

This type of police action is becoming common place in the new AmeriKa…

9. Nini September 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Mike… I have been around for many years now and through it all I have seen the police change more and more every year. I was taught as a young girl to respect and fear authority …just like with religious leaders. Unfortunately it keeps getting worse and worse. Cops are given ALMOST omnipotence or so they think. Who gives a rats ass if I say “Officer So n So you’re an asshole” while NOT resisting arrest or some other behavior? He can get offended if he likes just like any other adult but because the way they are treated and trained now they can arrest me because they dont like my attitude. Thats wrong…a cop should only be able to arrest me for the things I did not what I say. And this is the mentality that keeps going farther and farther just like the raid in this story. And its not just in Illinois this is happening. I know of a family 20+ yrs ago that it happened to right here in my OWN CITY and they DIDNT have drugs in their home in any way. And NO the police department didnt say they were sorry OR pay to repair the damages done to their home. Their neighbors thought for the longest time they were drug dealers in some way because of what the cops did. They ended up selling their home and moving to another city to get past what happened to them just because the cops had the WRONG ADDRESS to begin with. So with all that said …WHY are the police raiding a house for marijuana any way? How is that protecting us against terrorism as you say? With all the other much worse drugs out there destroying lives such as Heroin, Cocaine and Meth …why were all these tax dollars wasted on something so ridiculous?

• Mike September 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Nini, you make really good points. I absolutely agree. These issues should be addressed and are. I guess sites like these are good in a way to help expose things like this more, but on the other hand, people that read/write this stuff are only here for one reason…to bash police and other organizations because there life sucks. Not for anything else. The only reason I am here is because someone I know emails me these links constantly. He hasn’t been a productive member of society his whole life and every other person I ever knew who spent all there waking hours looking for the conspiracies, bad police, and every other negative issue he/she could find was the same way…a loser that doesn’t even deserve the freedom our men and women in uniform provide. Then end.

• Caleb Rochling September 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Mike:

(1) I am a very productive member of society, probably making more money than you. A lot more.
        (2) The police are no better than the criminals. Police are nothing more than bullies with guns.
        (3) Your idiotic rantings will have a little more credibility when you learn the difference between “their” and “there.” Or did they not teach you that in your illustrious 26 years in the military?

• Mike September 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM

What a loser. If the best you can come up with is my spelling error that I couldn’t change after I posted the comment AND “how much you make” then I have already won this debate. Thanks for confirming!

• kaiserin December 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Mike, will you still cheerlead and champion the cops if they break down your door by mistake, handcuff you and possibly hurt or kill one of your family members? You do seem like a typical cop, zero concern for others and as long as it doesn’t happen to YOU, those other bastards deserve it because they must be smelly hippies or criminals! Do you not see that your attitude is shared by lots of cops and yet you cannot understand why people loathe and fear cops?

I was constantly harassed by cops for the crime of driving at night (due to a non-traditional work schedule), and was held at gunpoint when the DMV mistakenly suspended my license. Literally every person I know has some kind of horror story involving interaction with cops, and these are not scumbags or criminals, many are government employees, important and respected members of the community. My hometown is now a de facto police state where the citizens despise the cops and merely seeing one strikes fear into law abiding citizens. Of course, the massive illegal and Muslim populations are never EVER targeted or bothered, despite the illegals driving drunk and committing most of the crime, so public safety is obviously not the issue. It seems that they just like to throw their weight around and go after easy prey. Their behavior is indefensible and apologists like you only exacerbate the problem.

Despite what you think, this country was not founded as a police/terror state. We have the Constitution which is supposed to protect us from these abuses and anyone who defends unconstitutional actions like this is treasonous and anti-American. I will pray that you wake up, ignorance like yours is what allows this treason to spread, and you should be ashamed of yourself. If you want to be a jackbooted thug, I hear North Korea is always looking for a few obedient men because you are not wanted in the United States of America.

• Matt September 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Mike, I think your perspective of this article is skewed! In no way, shape or form does the article ever mention that all, or even a majority, of police or any armed officials are corrupt. To assume so is ridiculous and reading these articles does not make you a non-productive member of society. I am a Marine Sergeant of five years and am proud to be serving my country but, the fact is that even in my beloved Corps there exists fraud, waste, abuse and corruption. You can find that throughout the government, and even throughout civilian entities because it’s a fact of life: SOME HUMANS AREN’T NICE. It’s in our nature, and to report on it is neither new or wrong. In fact, I believe it to be essential to informing the nation of these sometimes isolated (sometimes not) incidents in order to make people aware and ultimately help the true victims in all of this: the innocent tax paying families affected by these acts outside of the law designed to protect them (and yes the law does apply to EVERYONE! even those who were the uniform to protect them).

• Matt September 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM

*wear not were

10. Mannard September 22, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Even if the package contained marijuana, it’s still a waste of resources to continue to fight A PLANT.
    Marijuana has been demonized by all the big Pharm lobbyists. They don’t want you having access to REAL medicine that
    CURES. They want you dependent on THEM for TREATMENT.

• Mike September 23, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Wow! Did you think of this all by yourself????

11. Reverend Dean September 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Did they ever perform the CORRECT raid?

12. elaineearl September 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Mike, just because someone writes an article like this that does not mean they don’t love America. And just because someone is interested in learning about conspiracy theories that does not mean they don’t love America either. I appreciate your service in the military but it does not give you the right to be so judgemental of your fellow Americans. I respect the police and abide by the law but I honestly fear them. I have personally witnessed how rough they are even with old people in the town where I used to live. I have had surgery on both shoulders and they still hurt a lot. If they grabbed me and twisted my arms behind me like I saw them do that poor old lady it would hurt me so bad. They were also hitting her for no reason at all. She wasn’t even fighting them, just cursing a lot because they were hurting her. She was mentally ill, and I hate to see the mentally ill abused like that.

13. Anonymous September 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM

to mike-your a fucking moron. you have most likely been shit on your entire life by this foul system that you worship- and who goes around defending cops these days? cops are scumbag, muscle headed dirt bags, more than one tenth of them, douche bag! look the fuck around-you dont sense the imminence of an oncoming police state? go eat your potatoe chips and watch your football mr. success. leave the questioning of whats really going on in this creepy, nefarious country to the rational beings.

14. scott September 26, 2012 at 5:01 AM

mike, keep posting on here because people think your opinions are correct. and please promise you’ll respond to this as i will check back every 5 seconds to see what YOU wrote as i have no life of my very own and really care what you think. thanks for all you do mike. ….idiot

15. Reverend Dean September 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Still nothing on them performing the CORRECT raid. If it smells like s***….

16. R CROSS September 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM

“to serve and protect”with rubber bullets,tazers,water cannon,ultra-sound and a general good kicking.This is not only confined to America,the same is true of europe,demonstrate,write blogs,disagree ,campaign for a little decency in your society,uphold the tennets of Christianity,you are sure to be spyed on, harrassedand abused by the police,they say that we are “policed by consent”,but i do not recall consenting to a police state,maybe i was asleep at the time and missed it,then they buy more and more weapons and equipment,and it is certain that they do not intend to use it on the red chinese,no it is for us,exclusively,and its only use is if we object to tyranny,think about your administration buying TWO BILLION bullets,who benefits?

17. Joe ~S~ September 27, 2012 at 9:07 AM

A planned, botched raid and no-one will be held accountable.

Welcome to Police State America, sit down, shut up and let imbeciles mess with your lives.

18. Ser_Korz_53 October 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM

idiots cops. Un-American; criminals. Hooligan gangsters!

19. TC November 8, 2012 at 7:34 PM

It’s time to Barney Fife these guys. One bullet, no stick, and learn to be polite!

20. Dave November 16, 2012 at 10:29 PM

You know, if I were a lawyer, I would sue the city and every SOB, personally, that was involved!