Senator Feinstein to propose new assault weapons ban bill
By Brent Daggett
Contributing writer for End the Lie
On December 14, Adam Lanza gunned down 20 children, all six or seven years old, and six school employees at Sandy Hook Elementary School, before killing himself.
Note: be sure to read Brent’s latest articles, “Smart house technology is not as futuristic as we think” and “Local laws putting the brakes on food truck vendors”
The massacre became the second largest school shooting in U.S. history, with the exception of Virginia Tech, which left 33 people dead.
In the aftermath, of the odious act of violence at Sandy Hook (as well other recent massacres) a renewed interest in America’s firearms policies emerged, especially among politicians.
Leading the forefront is California’s Senator Dianne Feinstein, a liberal Democrat.
“I’m horrified and incensed by today’s tragedy in Connecticut. These massacres don’t seem to stop-they continue on and on,” she said.
“When senseless mass shootings reach into our kindergarten and elementary schools, one has to question what is happening to America,” Feinstein continued. “Gun violence took the lives of more than 8,000 Americans last year, and today claimed the lives of at least 18 children.”
“As I have said many times before – and now repeat in the wake of yet another tragedy – weapons of war don’t belong on our streets or in our theaters, shopping malls and, most of all our schools,” she said.
“I hope and trust that in the next session of Congress there will be sustained and thoughtful debate about America’s gun culture and our responsibility to prevent more loss of life,” said Feinstein.
“But today, we mourn for those who have been killed and the families that have been devastated,” she said.
In January, Feinstein will be introducing a new assault weapons ban bill.
If the bill is passed, it will stop the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of military-style assault weapons and high capacity ammunition feeding devices.
- “Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
- 120 specifically-named firearms;
- Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one or more military characteristics; and
- Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.
- Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
- Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test;
- Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test; and
- Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans.
- Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
- Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
- Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment;
- Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes; and
- Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.
- Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
- Background check of owner and any transferee;
- Type and serial number of the firearm;
- Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
- Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
- Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration.”
In an effort to prevent tragedies like the ones in Sandy Hook and Aurora, Colorado, President Obama will more than likely support the efforts of Feinstein.
“I’m going to be putting forward a package and I’m going to be putting my full weight behind it. I’m going to be making an argument to the American people about why this is important and why we have to do everything we can to make sure that something like what happened at Sandy Hook Elementary does not happen again,” Obama said.
However, as to be expected with any piece of legislation, opposition will occur.
Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, whom I rarely agree with, believes more gun control is not the answer.
“Well, we had the assault weapons ban from 1994 to 2004 and the conclusion was, it did not change crime by banning assault weapons in an appreciable way, and last year with the lowest murder rate in the history of the United States, people buying more guns, murder rates have gone down – you are talking about preventing mass murder by mentally unstable persons,” Graham said. “You can’t take every sharp object out of the reach of people like this.”
Politicians are not the only individuals expressing their opposition to the contents of the bill.
According to the article, Tyranny red alert: Traitorous Senator Feinstein seeking to criminalize nearly all firearms, require nationwide registration and fingerprinting of all gun owners, Mike Adams believes the bill is a slippery slope to give the government pause to one day confiscate all firearms.
“This is Feinstein’s wicked way of essentially criminalizing all gun ownership by American citizens. And those who comply with these requirements, thinking the government will then leave them alone, will soon find that they have given the government the “confiscation list” it needs to go door to door, demanding all the registered firearms.
Gun registration always leads to gun confiscation. The reason the government announces gun registration first is because they want to build a list of who to raid and arrest. By announcing “registration” first, the can hoodwink the population into ratting themselves out while the government compiles a “hit list” of all gun owners.”
While the aforementioned may seem to be paranoia, the rationale behind the statement exists in the below video Gun Control is Genocide, also created by Adams.
Whether the bill will pass remains uncertain, but rest assured the New Year on Capitol Hill will start off with a plethora of verbal bangs.
Edited by End the Lie
Did I forget anything or miss any errors? Would you like to make me aware of a story or subject to cover? Or perhaps you want to bring your writing to a wider audience? Feel free to contact me at [email protected] with your concerns, tips, questions, original writings, insults or just about anything that may strike your fancy.
Help Spread Alternative News
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
by End the Lie
End the Lie is an alternative news website founded with the goal of producing truthful news from a variety of perspectives. Original writing can be submitted to Admin (at) EndtheLie.com (please do not attach any files to your email).