‘We don’t need US Embassy in Bolivia’: Morales, UNASUR slam ‘imperial’ skyjack
(L-R) Bolivia’s Vice-President Alvaro Garcia Linera, Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro, Bolivia’s President Evo Morales (L) and Ecuador’s President Rafael Correa listen to the Bolivian national anthem during a welcoming gathering in honor of Morales, in Cochabamba, on July 4, 2013 (AFP Photo / Jorge Bernal)
Tensions flare at the UNASUR summit in Bolivia, with the country’s president Evo Morales saying that his “hand would not shake” if and when he “closes the US Embassy,” following the forced stop of presidential plane in Austria. The President has also expressed appreciation for the support he has received so far from Latin American countries.
“Apologies from a country that did not let us pass over its territory are not enough,” Morales said before talks in the central city of Cochabamba. “Some governments apologized, saying it was an error, but this was not an error.”
Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa pointed out, “We are here to support Bolivia.”
Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro stressed, “Violation of international law against Evo Morales is against all of us.”
Cristina Fernandez, who came to Bolivia a bit later than her counterparts, indicated, “It is curious that those who speak of human rights committed this violation.”
Jose Mujica of Uruguay and Desi Bouterse of Suriname are also attending the summit.
All in all, the President’s layover in Vienna lasted for about 14 hours.
Morales received a hero’s welcome at the airport in Bolivia’s capital of La Paz late Wednesday night.
Help Spread Alternative News
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)