Brazilian football referee beheaded after stabbing player to death
Otavio Jordao da Silva (Image from facebook.com)
Outraged spectators in northern Brazil stoned football referee Otavio da Silva to death and hacked up his body, after he stabbed a player, who died on his way to hospital.
Police say the incident happened when the referee red-carded 30-year-old player Josenir Abreu from a game. The two quarreled and got into a fist fight, then Silva stabbed Abreu.
According to the Maranhao State Public Safety Department fans got to the field and decapitated the referee, then dismembered his body.
Local news reports say the angry mob stuck his head on a stake in the middle of the field.
Police have arrested a 27-year-old man in the ongoing investigation.
“We will identify and hold accountable all those involved in this incident. One crime will never justify another. Actions like this do not correspond with state law,” police spokesman Valter Costa told reporters.
The police are reportedly looking for two more suspects.
The incident took place with a backdrop of Brazil facing mounting pressure to show it is a safe place before 12 cities host the 2014 World Cup and the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016.
In June, Brazil was swept by protests partly against the spending in preparation for the World Cup, as well as against the level of corruption.
Help Spread Alternative News
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)